[perl #60678] Configure.pl manifest problem on Win32
Peter Schwenn
2008-11-19 18:09:22 UTC
# New Ticket Created by Peter Schwenn
# Please include the string: [perl #60678]

In attempting to build Parrot (to run Rakudo) on Win32,in a Dos box, from
the root dir of Parrot,
perl Configure.pl
fails because NONE of the required files of the manifest are present
(according to Configure.pl's output). But ALL of the files are present in
their appointed places. This seems to be a problem with backslash as a
separator for filenames. Is there a workaround or flag?

(I am NOT using mingw or cygwind, just plain XP SP1. I expect to use gcc
with nmake v1.8 when I get by this problem.)

Thank you Peter Schwenn
Will Coleda
2008-11-20 13:47:25 UTC
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:09 PM, via RT Peter Schwenn
Post by Peter Schwenn
# New Ticket Created by Peter Schwenn
# Please include the string: [perl #60678]
In attempting to build Parrot (to run Rakudo) on Win32,in a Dos box, from
the root dir of Parrot,
perl Configure.pl
fails because NONE of the required files of the manifest are present
(according to Configure.pl's output). But ALL of the files are present in
their appointed places. This seems to be a problem with backslash as a
separator for filenames. Is there a workaround or flag?
(I am NOT using mingw or cygwind, just plain XP SP1. I expect to use gcc
with nmake v1.8 when I get by this problem.)
Thank you Peter Schwenn
What version of perl are you using? (perl -V)
Will "Coke" Coleda
Peter Schwenn
2008-11-20 15:44:01 UTC
I'm using Version 5.8.8; the full -Version report is:

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Binary build 817 [257965] provided by ActiveState
http://www.ActiveState.com<http://www.activestate.com/>
Built Mar 20 2006 17:54:25

Should I be using 5.10 for Parrot building?

Thank you, Peter Schwenn
Will "Coke" Coleda
Peter Schwenn
2008-11-20 16:15:07 UTC
I tried it with version 5.10.0 (build 1004), and under Cygwin. Same
result. Am I right in assuming that virtually none of the parrot/rakudo
developers is using Windows or Cygwin -- if someone WERE using Windows, he
or she might have encountered this.

It seems like such a simple, and "early in the build process" error that it
would affect anyone building with Windows.

Thank you
Will "Coke" Coleda
Peter Schwenn
2008-11-20 20:45:39 UTC
Will Coleda

You can drop this thread if you like. This is a waste of your time. What I
need to do is to find someone who is building parrot with XP, Cygwin or
mingw -- who has been through most of what I'm going to encounter.

Thank you
Will "Coke" Coleda
Will Coleda
2008-11-20 21:12:47 UTC
Post by Peter Schwenn
Will Coleda
You can drop this thread if you like. This is a waste of your time. What I
need to do is to find someone who is building parrot with XP, Cygwin or
mingw -- who has been through most of what I'm going to encounter.
I often build with Strawberry Perl's toolkit on windows with no
problem, and we have several active windows developers; I tend to
build right out of the repository, though, and not off the releases.

At first blush it sounds like the filenames got case-mangled when the
package was unzipped. How did you unpack the file?
Will "Coke" Coleda
Will Coleda
2008-11-20 21:19:28 UTC
Post by Will Coleda
Post by Peter Schwenn
Will Coleda
You can drop this thread if you like. This is a waste of your time. What I
need to do is to find someone who is building parrot with XP, Cygwin or
mingw -- who has been through most of what I'm going to encounter.
I often build with Strawberry Perl's toolkit on windows with no
problem, and we have several active windows developers; I tend to
build right out of the repository, though, and not off the releases.
At first blush it sounds like the filenames got case-mangled when the
package was unzipped. How did you unpack the file?
--
Will "Coke" Coleda
As a data point, I just grabbed parrot-0.8.1-tar.gz from CPAN and was
able to run Configure.pl with no issues using a recent Strawberry
perl. I'm not seeing the case mangled filenames; they match up with
what's in the MANIFEST for me.

Regards.
Will "Coke" Coleda
Ron Blaschke
2008-11-21 13:31:19 UTC
Post by Will Coleda
Post by Will Coleda
Post by Peter Schwenn
[...]
I second Will's examination. trunk and the 0.8.1 release tarball
Configure just fine for me as well. That's Windows XP SP3, Perl 5.10
and VC++ 9.

Ron
Peter Schwenn
2008-11-20 17:13:38 UTC
Will Coleda,

1. To correct myself and be more precise, out of the approx 3700 files in
the MANIFEST, my running of Perl Configure.pl only shows those (~126) below
as missing (but they aren't missing):

[and 2. It looks like the files "not found" in the manifest check don't have
the same upper/lower case spelling as the ones that are actually the
released parrot-0.8.1...gz. For example in the MANIFEST it's
...hq9plus... while in the released files its HQ9Plus and similarly in the
MANIFEST ...lib/Parrot... while the files are ...lib/parrot ]

quoting from the Configure.pl run:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\parrot-0.8.0>perl Configure.pl
Parrot Version 0.8.1 Configure 2.0
Copyright (C) 2001-2008, The Perl Foundation.

Hello, I'm Configure. My job is to poke and prod your system to figure out
how to build Parrot. The process is completely automated, unless you passed
in
the `--ask' flag on the command line, in which case I'll prompt you for a
few
pieces of info.

Since you're running this program, you obviously have Perl 5--I'll be
pulling
some defaults from its configuration.

init::manifest - Check MANIFEST...No such file:
languages/hq9plus/config/ma
kefiles/root.in
No such file: languages/hq9plus/hq9plus.pir
No such file: languages/hq9plus/lib/Parrot/Test/Hq9plus.pm
No such file: languages/hq9plus/MAINTAINER
No such file: languages/hq9plus/README
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/builtins/hello.pir
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/builtins/nintynine_bottles_of_beer.pir
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/builtins/plus.pir
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/builtins/quine.pir
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/parser/actions.pm
No such file: languages/hq9plus/src/parser/grammar.pg
No such file: languages/hq9plus/t/basic.t
No such file: languages/hq9plus/t/harness
No such file: lib/Parrot/BuildUtil.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Config.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Compiler.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Data.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Messages.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Conf.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Conf/CLI.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Conf/File.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Conf/Shared.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Reconf.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Test.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Options/Test/Prepare.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Step.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Step/List.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Step/Methods.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Test.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Trace.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Configure/Utils.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Distribution.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Directory.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/File.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Group.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/HTMLPage.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Item.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/POD2HTML.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/BigNum.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/C.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Compilers.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Config.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Docs.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/DynaPMCs.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/EditorPlugins.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Examples.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/IMCC.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Info.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Languages.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Libs.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Ops.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Parrot.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Perl.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/PMCs.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Tests.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Docs/Section/Tools.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Harness/DefaultTests.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Harness/Options.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Harness/Smoke.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Headerizer.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/IO/Directory.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/IO/File.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/IO/Path.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Manifest.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Op.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Ops2c/Auxiliary.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Ops2c/Utils.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Ops2pm.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Ops2pm/Auxiliary.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Ops2pm/Base.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpsFile.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpsRenumber.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/C.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/CGoto.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/CGP.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/Compiled.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/CPrederef.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/OpTrans/CSwitch.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Attribute.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/ComposedMethod.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Dumper.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Emitter.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Library.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Method.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/MethodEmitter.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/MULTI.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Object.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Parser.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PCCMETHOD.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/default.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/deleg_pmc.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/delegate.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/Null.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/Object.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/ParrotClass.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/PrintTree.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/Ref.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/RO.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/SharedRef.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMC/STMRef.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/Pmc2cMain.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMCEmitter.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/UtilFunctions.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/VTable.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Revision.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/SearchOps.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/APL.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Cardinal.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Harness.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Perl6.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/PGE.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/PIR_PGE.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Punie.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Util.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Test/Util/Runloop.pm
No such file: lib/Parrot/Vtable.pm

Ack, some files were missing! I can't continue running
without everything here. Please try to find the above
files and then try running Configure again.

step init::manifest failed: no result returned at Configure.pl line 72

init::defaults - Set Configure's default values...Set up gcc
environment -
3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
..................done.
init::install - Set up installation
paths..........................done.
init::miniparrot - Tweak settings for
miniparrot...................skipped.
init::hints - Load platform and local hints
files................done.
init::headers - Find header files distributed with
Parrot..........done.
inter::progs - Determine what C compiler and linker to
use...Compilation
failed with 'gcc'

C:\parrot-0.8.0>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Schwenn
Will "Coke" Coleda
Peter Schwenn
2009-02-01 06:07:34 UTC
--0016e6d376461887bc0461d5417d

yes

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:45 PM, James Keenan via RT <
Are we happy enough with the issues raised in this ticket in order to
resolve it?
Thank you very much.
kid51