[perl #60986] Win32 package refuses to install if not run by an administrator
GW
2008-12-02 13:50:02 UTC
# New Ticket Created by GW
# Please include the string: [perl #60986]

Hi,

I think it is wrong that the Win32 installation package for Parrot
refuses to install if not run by an administrator.

I simply do not want to pollute my system and am therefore using a
non-administrator user for everything. I know that the installation will
then not be able to install filetype bindings, system wide entries in
the registry or install itself in Program Files and that I will need to
modify at least my PATH environment variable to get things working, but
belive it or not - this is exactly what I want.

gw

P.S.: Could you also add a link to the bugs page on the LaunchPad site.
GW
2008-12-06 16:00:40 UTC
Post by GW
Hi,
I think it is wrong that the Win32 installation package for Parrot
refuses to install if not run by an administrator.
I simply do not want to pollute my system and am therefore using a
non-administrator user for everything. I know that the installation will
then not be able to install filetype bindings, system wide entries in
the registry or install itself in Program Files and that I will need to
modify at least my PATH environment variable to get things working, but
belive it or not - this is exactly what I want.
gw
P.S.: Could you also add a link to the bugs page on the LaunchPad site.
Isn't this more of a Win32 security problem then a Parrot problem? Do we
have the ability to force it to get installed on Win32 in a non-admin
account, if the local security settings forbid it?
It is a problem of the configuration for the Parrot installer. He just
refuses to install, doesn't even try!

Actually I just want to come to the contents of the package without the
process of polluting my system (usually called installation).

The only side effect of not installing it as administrator is that it
can't change the system wide PATH variable and it can't pollute the
registry (eg. registration of new file types, put its configuration in
there)...

gw
Francois Perrad
2009-02-01 10:32:07 UTC
My reading of the issues raised in this RT is that it's a
straightforward Win32 installation issue -- nothing specific to Parrot.
Okay to close the ticket?
+1
François
Thank you very much.