[perl #41243] Link on Win32 with Borland C++
Will Coleda
2007-01-11 16:57:22 UTC
# New Ticket Created by Will Coleda
# Please include the string: [perl #41243]

Need details.
Steve Peters via RT
2007-01-11 17:55:41 UTC
Post by Will Coleda
Need details.
A recent patch has gotten Parrot to the point that it can be compiled
with Borland C++ on Win32. Unfortunately, it does not link correctly to
actually create a valid parrot executable. Additional configuration is
needed to make Borland compile and link Parrot so that it can actually
be run and tested.
Andrew Whitworth
2008-12-16 14:30:22 UTC
I'll pick up borland and play with it, although I won't get to it
until the next cycle. I've got a really old version of Turbo C++ 4.52
left over from school, and free versions of Turbo C++ Explorer are
available for download. I don't promise any miracles, but at least I
will be able to prove that some errors still exist or not.

--Andrew Whitworth

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Will Coleda via RT
Post by Steve Peters via RT
Post by Will Coleda
Need details.
A recent patch has gotten Parrot to the point that it can be compiled
with Borland C++ on Win32. Unfortunately, it does not link correctly to
actually create a valid parrot executable. Additional configuration is
needed to make Borland compile and link Parrot so that it can actually
be run and tested.
Without a champion for this compiler, there's not much we can do; Our current targets for
Windows include, as I understand it, cygwin, strawberry perl and its build system, and recent
versions of VisualC++. Borland isn't in our core list for the upcoming 1.0 release.
If we do find a Borland champion, they should open a new ticket at https://trac.parrot.org/.
Rejecting this ticket; Regards.
--
Will "Coke" Coleda
Ron Blaschke
2008-12-16 18:20:16 UTC
Post by Steve Peters via RT
Post by Will Coleda
Need details.
A recent patch has gotten Parrot to the point that it can be compiled
with Borland C++ on Win32. Unfortunately, it does not link correctly to
actually create a valid parrot executable. Additional configuration is
needed to make Borland compile and link Parrot so that it can actually
be run and tested.
Without a champion for this compiler, there's not much we can do; Our current targets for
Windows include, as I understand it, cygwin, strawberry perl and its build system, and recent
versions of VisualC++. Borland isn't in our core list for the upcoming 1.0 release.
If we do find a Borland champion, they should open a new ticket at https://trac.parrot.org/.
Rejecting this ticket; Regards.
Some time ago, because of this ticket, I tried with Borland C++ 5.5.1
and 5.82, and failed miserably. But that may just be my bad bcc-foo.
Unless someone's keen for this platform and has access to a fairly new
("within two years") version (is it called C++ Builder now?), I'm not
sure if this is worth pursuing.

Ron
Andrew Whitworth
2008-12-16 18:24:07 UTC
Post by Ron Blaschke
Some time ago, because of this ticket, I tried with Borland C++ 5.5.1
and 5.82, and failed miserably. But that may just be my bad bcc-foo.
Unless someone's keen for this platform and has access to a fairly new
("within two years") version (is it called C++ Builder now?), I'm not
sure if this is worth pursuing.
The free version of "Turbo C++ Builder" is called "Turbo C++
Explorer". Should be the same thing, minus some features. If I can get
it to work with the most recent version of that, I can try digging
back through older versions to find compatibility problems.

--Andre Whitworth
Will Coleda
2008-12-16 18:34:27 UTC
Unless this task would make you exceedingly happy, I wouldn't bother.

IMO, there are much higher priority things requiring tuits than trying
to add a fourth compiler for windows, especially before the 1.0
release.

Regards.
Will "Coke" Coleda
Steve Peters
2008-12-16 18:27:58 UTC
Post by Steve Peters via RT
Post by Will Coleda
[...]
The issue I ran into at the time was that dmake, which was the usual
make program used with bcc32, is not capable of handling the Parrot
make file. I believe it could work with gmake on win32, but I hadn't
really attempted anything down that direction since I was encountering
too many other issues following a major restructuring of the headers
that had occurred.

Steve